Sunday, February 26, 2012

Halloween Magic

Halloween may be long gone but I don't want to forget this story.

Brandon insisted that we carve pumpkins for Halloween last year. I'm not sure why but I don't get excited about carving pumpkins - maybe it wasn't a strong tradition in our family or it just seems wasteful to me. I mean, I remember doing it but not on an annual basis. I kinda thought that Lucy would be a little too young to appreciate carving pumpkins but I was obviously wrong.

For some reason I can't remember, I wasn't home so Brandon was having a daddy/daughter night with Lucy and decided to carve the pumpkins that we bought. Despite my lack of excitement for carving pumpkins, I was a little sad that I missed out on the event as Brandon described the evening to me.


Lucy was so enchanted by the lit pumpkins, she and Brandon sat outside in the cold, wrapped up in blanket together as she whispered, "It's like a dream..."

We're guessing she got that from the movie Howl's Moving Castle because there is a part where the heroine of the story is in this beautiful field of flowers and says, "It's like a dream!" I just didn't even know that Lucy knew what a dream was (or maybe she really doesn't but couldn't think of anything else to describe her feelings). But it's wonderful to rediscover the things that fascinate our children. I'm so glad that she got to make a wonderful memory with her daddy.

We never did get a chance to post pictures of Lucy for Halloween because we only took pictures with Brandon's iPhone (and oh yeah - I wasn't posting to my blog for like, a year). But she was Tinkerbell and went trick or treating THREE times (once at Brandon's work, once at Damian's church ward, and once at our church ward - we didn't even bother to go trick-or treating around the neighborhood because she already had so much candy and we were lazy). But here are some poor quality pictures of Lucy in costume collecting candy at Brandon's work:


My original plan was to go as Wendy and for Brandon to be Peter Pan so we could match Lucy but we just never got our costumes together. So I threw together a costume to be Peter Pan so I could be a little festive but my neighbor asked if I was the Green Giant. Not exactly what I was going for. But yeah - that is me in the above picture, next to Lucy.

Lucy's costume was a little too big for her and her wings were not very secure. How I wished my mother lived close by and could have made a costume for Lucy (or better yet, that I knew how to sew my own)!





8 comments:

MamaM said...

I love that someone asked if you were the Green Giant!

MamaM said...

Oh and that story is so cute :)

Mei Day said...

You forgot to mention that we didn't actually get around to doing this until November, but it turned out to be just as fun.

Kumi said...

The large pumpkin was curved very nice. I've never seen that good one. Really artistic!?
It's easy to make the costume fit her better - just tuck the shoulder traps shorter!! The story of pumpkin curving is very nice and she felt some what mysterious???

MamaQ said...

I think it's funny that someone thought you were the green giant when you were accompanying your little girls who was dressed as tinker bell. That person probably didn't do very well on the SAT.

And Peter Pan has traditionally always been played by a woman, at least on stage, so it was perfectly appropriate for you!

MamaD said...

Elaine - I might not have been with Lucy when he saw me (it was my cute next door neighbor). I can't remember. Or if I was, she might have had a coat on and no wings (cause they couldn't fit in the car seat). And I didn't have a hat so I was really only wearing a green shirt and green leggings. I realized that I could very easily have been mistaken for the green giant after taking a look at my costume...

Mark said...

I remember the 50's black and white TV production of Peter Pan, played by Mary Martin. At the end of the show, she sprinkled "fairy dust" towards the camera and said that now everyone had magic. The next day a kid jumps off his top bunk bed, thinking now he can fly like Peter Pan, and broke his arm.

Kendra said...

Now that is a cute story!