Sunday, February 05, 2012

Giving In and More Cookies

This past Friday, I gave in. After yummy lunch with Brandon at the Robin's Nest in between painting at the house (I got a two-for-one meal with my KUER membership card - being charitable pays off!!), I headed to Williams-Sonoma where I got these:


Yup - I finally broke down and paid $10 for 4 hard-boiled egg molds. Lucy was so excited about them the whole car ride home so we had to make them right when we got in. There is a bunny mold, a bear mold, a star and a heart. Lucy chose to make the bunny and the heart. 


But that isn't all I got!


I also picked up a microplane grater (these are so convenient and I'm very excited to start cheesing and zesting things and maybe even chocolating some things over my meals and desserts). And underneath that is a decorating tool for all that baking I am going to do someday. Since Lucy likes to help out so much in the kitchen, I felt like it would be a good investment. And I also really want to make these:


 
What are those you might ask? Red velvet whoopie pies? Shaped as adorable hearts! Yeah, those went up on my Pinterest as soon as I saw them and the blogger who makes them recommends piping the filling so I wasn't going to argue. Those lovelies pictured above might have been the strongest reason why I bought that piping set. But in full disclosure, for those of you who are worried that I am blowing my budget on expensive gear at Williams-Sonoma, I did exchange some stuff I received on Christmas for all this (Sorry Heidi, if you read this! I loved your gift but I will make you some Red Velvet Whoopie pies instead of Marvel comic sugar cookies!). But the question is, what can I substitute for red food coloring without affecting the recipe too much? Beet juice? Or does the natural food store sell "natural" food coloring?


Anyway, while we waited for Lucy's eggs to boil, I was really craving some more cookies (do you see a pattern emerging here). I probably should have eaten dinner but I had a really late, large lunch and I was craving something sweet after all the savory. But don't worry, Lucy and I also snacked on apples (as you can see in the background). And when I get cravings for something, I want it as fast as possible with the least amount of work. So I found some peanut butter cookie mix in Damian's pantry (which expired in 2010 - please don't judge me too harshly! Cravings, remember?). So we had those mixed up in a jiffy (get it, like the peanut butter?) and in the oven baking.


Lucy's little molds were a little tougher to use than I thought and also took a long time because you had to wait an additional 10 minutes to let the eggs set in cold water.


But I had my milk and cookies to keep me company while we waited. And thankfully, Lucy doesn't like peanut butter cookies (they aren't really my favorite either but I will never pass up sugar) so she didn't even eat them (seriously, how awesome is this girl who doesn't eat cookies but prefers celery - okay, she is not like that all the time though). And I don't have to worry about Lucy ingesting some weird, addictive chemicals that Betty Crocker puts in her mixes to make me eat so much of them.


Lucy got to eat her hard boiled bunny and heart eggs (she only eats the whites and not the yolks - just like her mama when she was younger). The bunny came out much better than the heart - I think I need more practice with these.


And she loved them!

5 comments:

Kumi said...

You didn't eat egg york???
I already bought 2 packages of star and heart shapes!? Em, don't buy those shapes. I already have some.
I am so glad that you are already thinking about a substitute of dark red color. The color in this blog is sickening!
The "tonbo" (dragonflies) dress looks familiar?? Is it from Maya???

MamaD said...

Mom - I always used to give my egg yolks to Dad. Non wonder he has high cholesterol. Sorry I couldn't wait on the egg molds. You'll just have to give them to Emily and Elaine (even though I don't think that Elaine likes plastic things). And yes, the dragonfly dress is Maya's old dress. It is one of Lucy's favorites.

MamaQ said...

Seriously, please don't give me those plastic things. Annie, you are putting them in boiling water? Is that safe?
But I laughed at the cookie thing. My weakness is brownies. I can't help but make them from the box because they actually taste better (and take about 3 minutes to mix).
And yes, you can buy natural food dyes, but the pigment probably won't be as dark. It might come out more pinkish... but that would be lovely, too, no?

MamaD said...

Elaine - the molds don't go in boiling water. You peel the eggs when they are still hot and put them in the molds and then dunk the molds into cold water so that the mold will set. So the plastic isn't really being heated up besides the heat initially from the just boiled egg.

MamaM said...

Do you actually crack the egg and dump it in the mold? Can you just leave out the yolk? That would be awesome...Bring them next time you come. Olive will love them!