Saturday, May 05, 2012

Lucy's 3rd Birthday Party (April 14th)

Lucy's birthday party ended up being a much bigger event than we planned. She still insisted on a Nausicaa birthday party and this was the best we came up with.

I had Brandon make an invitation for Lucy's birthday party with Nausicaa on it. Unfortunately, we never even mailed them out because we didn't really get them done in time and we ended up just sending out a facebook invitation (we did put the picture on the facebook invite though so I guess it got used). We can just say we were being more environmentally friendly...

We made a big gamble having the party outside at a park. But our house is so small and the weather had been so gorgeous at the end of March and beginning of April and the only activity that I could think of that was even closely related to Nausicaa was to fly kites which obviously, we could only do outside. We meant for the party to be really laid back and just an opportunity to hang out with our friends and let the kids go nuts at the park.

Unfortunately, the weather didn't want to cooperate. Even though it wasn't raining it had the night before and everything was a little wet and chilly. I had been stressing out the whole week prior because I knew that the weather report wasn't great for the weekend and we had already invited a bunch of people and I was afraid that our house couldn't accommodate that many people so I was researching a million other options but they were either more money than we wanted to pay or not available on such short notice. Ughhh! After all the stressing, we were just like, "What the heck! Lets just do it at our house and have it be crowded."

Thankfully, Emily arrived a little bit early and got Lucy ready and entertained while I finished up the last minute preparations. There were absolutely no decorations but we did have food (which I'm so mad that I forgot to take a picture of). We kept it simple with various juice boxes, a fruit platter, veggie platter, Rice Krispie treats (my favorite), some chips, and chicken sandwiches. I was really happy with how the food turned out and that I could make most of it ahead of time. I was mostly trying to have some healthier options available and limit the sweets.

Emily got Lucy in her fairy outfit (an early gift from her) and actually combed her hair into a ponytail. Lucy got some of her excitement out by jumping on my bed.

Olive is so good at sharing her mommy.

Damian graciously offered to take pictures so I could attend to Lucy and the party. Parties always seem a little awkward at first but once everyone got some food and the kids made their way into Lucy's room to play and opened up some space for the adults in the living room, things went really smoothly. It was definitely a little cramped but hopefully fun.

Opening presents got a little crazy with all the kids wanting to be involved but Lucy sure loved it.

All the presents. We actually wrote on the invitations to not bring gifts but of course, several people did. But it was a very manageable amount and Lucy was ecstatic.

Marlo being ever so helpful delivering Lucy's gifts.


Despite the chilly weather outside, Brandon had to open some windows because it got so stuffy in the house with so many people.

Brandon's friend, Adam Smyth made it out with his twin girls. I just can't remember who is who - if this is Summer or Zoe.

Keri & Gibbs made it out with their two girls despite a huge event they had just finished up with Zulily for their Crowsmack clothing line. Lucy was the lucky recipient of one of their screen printed t-shirts.

I love how she was just constantly surrounded by kids who were just excited as she was.

Another costume to add to her collection - an Ariel dress from Uncle Damian.

And a real dress to wear for anytime.





Olive, ready to give the next gift.



More Ariel stuff - Auntie Emily and Olive gave Lucy some Little Mermaid pajamas.

And more Ariel stuff! Auntie Heidi gave Lucy an Ariel dress, an Ariel doll, and a cute Ariel charm bracelet.

Two of my pregnant neighbors - I have some catching up to do.

Then it was time for cake! I know making cakes is very much the thing to do and people get all fancy with fondant but that is just not my thing. Maybe someday I'll be more ambitious. I made Lucy's cake last year and had plans to make cupcakes for this year but just opted for a store-bought cake after finding one for a good price in the reduced bakery section of my grocery store to save time and stress. Even though there were also huge sheet cakes there, I purposely bought a small one so we wouldn't have to deal with leftovers (and the temptation to eat them). Although I knew we might not have enough for all the adults, I figured they would be thankful to not have the extra calories. Besides, I had plenty of Rice Krispie treats if someone needed something sweet. Of course, I felt super guilty about buying a store-bought cake after reading this blog post about "junky birthday cakes" from Progressive Pioneer but I suppose that there is always room for improvement (and hey, everything in moderation, right?).

The happy birthday girl at her throne, surrounded by presents (with Little Mermaid bracelet in hand).

After presents and cake, many of the kids and parents made their way outside on the front lawn to play. Lucy changed into her new Crowsmack shirt and her favorite purple pants and was ready to go. I guess we could have done the party at the park but it ended up being pretty convenient to do it at our house.


Jared and Adam had gone on a bike ride that morning so didn't make it to the party until after almost all the birthday guests had left. But the dads kept the girls (Lucy, Marlo, and Olive) busy in front while I cleaned up inside. So much work for just a few hours! I wish I got a photo of all three dads just chillaxin' on the chairs on the front porch.

The party ended up being so much more work than I anticipated but Lucy was happy. However, I think she might have been just as happy with something a little more simple so maybe we'll tone it down a bit for next year. The idea of doing BIG birthday parties for the child's 4th, 8th, 12th, and 16th birthday sounds good but I almost want to do something small every year. We shall see.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Annie, your home looks so nice. I especially like your floors. I'm excited to see you all this summer.

MamaD said...

Haha! Pictures can be very deceiving!! But actually, it's a huge improvement over where it was before (which you saw, right?). I'm very happy with how the floors turned out. The kitchen, bathroom, basement, and yard still need lots of work and the parts we have already finished could use some decorating and new furniture someday but I am very happy with our progress.