Monday, May 14, 2012

Church History Museum 4/27

After a crazy beginning of the week, it was nice to get out of the house for some free activities with Lucy, Emily, and Olive to take our mind off things. I skipped out on the gym and headed to the LDS Church History Museum. Even though it is only 10 minutes away from our house in the heart of downtown, I had never really heard of it, much less visited there. But Brandon heard from some friends that there is a cute kids area and more importantly, it is free!

On the second floor coming up from the escalators, we were greeted by some lions. Our attempts to take the girls picture together was not successful and this was the best I could come up with.

On our way to the children's area, there were two interactive computer stations where the girls could digitally paint.
I am so amazed at touch screen technology and how far it has come.

In the actual children's area, one of the best parts is the dress up clothes and area that you can dance to. There is a very Latino flavor to the whole area with Latin dancers on the televisions. But I guess those types of skirts are pretty fun to dance in.

The place reminded me a little bit of Discovery Gateway - just smaller. Mini cars are always a big hit.

Some of the other activities weren't as cool. This was a little station where you could copy ancient scriptures on this special pad that didn't really work.

There was a huge boat that I originally thought was supposed to be Noah's Ark but was actually Nephi's ship.

Lucy enjoyed looking out those windows very much.

And more interactive computer games. These ones weren't nearly as cool or easy to use as the ones out front. I'm guessing many little hands may have made it a little less sensitive on the touch screen.

There were lots of dolls and they looked like they were in great condition. Even though there was a decent amount of people there when we were there. I am assuming that not many people know about this place (like I didn't) because everything is in such great shape considering that it is open to the public.

There was even a little kitchen to play in...

Complete with a "vegetable" garden.

And some chickens.

Emily busy on her phone. I love places where you can ignore your children and still feel good about your parenting that day.

Fortunately, since it wasn't super busy, Lucy didn't have to worry about sharing too much. It's something she struggles with a bit.

I think we hit just about every station the kids area had. Here is the last one - a little art station where you can stamp paper and use hole punches and make necklaces out of ribbon or something. I wasn't really paying much attention but the girls seemed to enjoy it.

After the museum, we headed down the street to City Creek to eat lunch and let the girls play on the dinosaurs in the food court. I didn't get any pictures of them because I was too busy eating and clipping coupons.

We rounded out the day with a trip to City Creek to eat lunch and let the girls play in the dinosaur play area of the food court but I didn't get any pictures. Thanks goodness for free kids entertainment!

2 comments:

Mark said...

Digital painting. And no mess to clean up!

The Purcells said...

I can't believe how old Lucy is! She is such a cute girl. We went to that museum with all the nieces and nephews; pretty fun place. Hope you guys are doing well!