Thursday, March 22, 2012

Busy Week

This past week has been another busy one. Lucy's last day of daycare was last Friday so this will be the first full week she will be home with me. I was afraid it would be a big adjustment to have her back home with me all day but everything is just falling right back into place.

We started the week off at Emily's house for babysitting on Monday. Tuesday was spent priming and painting my stupid closets during the day, helping watch my neighbor's kids in the afternoon, and trying to fit too much in during the evening. There was a church activity I wanted to go to but there was also a "Meet the Congressional candidates" at the library at the same time. I was trying to make it to both by going to half of the library one and then going late to the church activity. But since Brandon was at Draw Night for the evening, I had Lucy and I didn't have time to go food shopping like I planned to since I was helping my neighbor, we ended up at McDonald's for dinner - only because I had a coupon to get a free Happy Meal. I do not go to McDonald's very regularly (or really, at all) so I had no idea what to get. I just ended up with a salad (okay) while I got Lucy chicken nuggets, milk (thank goodness you can substitute this now for soda), fries, and apple slices. So not a terrible meal I have to feel guilty about. But the problem was that this McDonald's had a play place and Lucy did not want to leave. So instead of leaving at making it to the library at 7pm and church at 7:30 pm, we got to the library at 7:30 pm where it was packed with no room and not really a good place for me to bring Lucy. So we immediately went to the church where the activity was very poorly attended. So the lesson - if I want to meet the candidates at the library, get a babysitter. And don't go to church activities (just kidding).

Wednesday was a much better day. My friend, Candace invited me to go with her and her son, North, to Tracy Aviary which is free every Wednesday in March (with a $1 donation). I had never been and they have actually been doing construction on it forever so it's practically brand new. And I just got my camera back earlier this week so I could take pictures!

 The kids stayed in their strollers most of the time but there was lots to look at.

 I have never seen a peacock so close.

I was so stocked when it showed its tail feathers. The workers there said he was just really vain and wanted to look at his own reflection in the doors.


 Lucy was entranced as well (but definitely a little scared too). Maybe because we just watched Kung Fu Panda 2 and the bad guy in it is a peacock.



 I think North liked the peacock...

Lucy was absolutely in love with the flamingos. And why wouldn't she be - they are her favorite color. And she is familiar with them after reading the Eric Carle books.



She needed to get a closer look at those flamingos. 




 These birds were very friendly. They came right up to the fence. No idea what they are, though.


And they had a bald eagle! I don't know why I was so excited about it. I guess it's the patriotism in me. I was amazed at how huge it was.


The golden eagle was pretty cool too and also quite large.

 Lucy sharing her snacks with North. I love that little bento box!



I don't remember what these guys were but I loved the little tufts of feathers on top of their heads.


The aviary was pretty small but manageable and we were able to get really good looks at all the birds. We ended up at the sand box to sit and chat and let the kids play. Lucy is really into sand these days.

 North is about a year and half younger than Lucy but who knows - maybe she will be into younger guys when she is older?

 My friend, Candace (who I used to work with at Salt Lake County Aging Services) is expecting another baby.

Lucy also hates shoes these days. Not just in the sand, but always.


 What a cutie!

After Tracy Aviary, we had a bunch of errands to run - trip to Target, trip to Japan Sage Market (for some treats for another church activity - International Night), and then grocery shopping at Sunflower Farmers Market.

Lucy was hungry for lunch so we ordered ramen at the Japanese store because she loves it so much.

It was a busy day but a good one. Started out a little chilly but turned into beautiful weather. Lucy fell asleep on the way home and ended up with a late nap which meant a late night but she is at such a fun age and has such a great sense of humor. She is always making us laugh.

Thanks, Candace & North, for inviting us! I think I may try to make it for one more free Wednesday next week at the Aviary.



2 comments:

MamaM said...

I wanna go next time! And I want to eat some of that ramen...

Candace said...

You take great pictures! Thanks for going with us. It was way fun.