Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Magic Toilet

One of the many cool things about visiting Japan are the magic toilets they have there. Okay, well obviously not magic but very fancy. Well, my parents (and my brother) got some of that magic and installed it in their bathroom. Since my brother was remodeling the bathroom in our childhood home with a fancy jetted tub and all new tile, my mom decided she wanted to splurge on a Toto toilet seat. And when I say splurge, I mean splurge - maybe to the tune of a price of a round trip ticket to Japan.


But this isn't just any toilet seat - it's a Toto Washlet. It's heated (which in winter, is so nice to sit on something warm and toasty when you're about to do your business) and has a built-in bidet. And if you've never experienced a bidet, you should - it's heavenly. And you can control the pressure and exactly where you want it to go since we are all built a little differently. Lucy was very curious about the whole set-up and wanted to press all the buttons. I thought she would be scared of the bidet but she ended up loving it and wanted to use it every time she went to the bathroom.


My only complaints are that the bidet doesn't seem to be quite as strong as the built-in bidets in Japan and the dryer is pretty weak. Also, the seat cover is a pretty soft plastic so when Lucy tried to stand on top of the toilet seat to wash her hands at the sink, it didn't support her weight very well (or at all, really). It would also be really nice if they had a model that had a built-in toddler seat like this:


Since the next project we would like to do in our house will be the bathroom, I can't but help think that I will want to splurge on a little Toto Washlet for myself.


No comments: