Thursday, July 05, 2012

Change of Travel Plans

This all seems so long ago (well, I guess it has been over a month) but I realize that it might be confusing if I don't clarify. I had originally planned to stay an entire month and a half away from home in Utah while visiting in Massachusetts and DC as I outlined in my crazy travel plans here. But after just one week away, the thought of spending an additional month away from home got to be really overwhelming. Even though I was so happy to be spending time with my mom and sisters and brother and nieces, it was a little too much for Lucy (and me) to be away from Brandon and just home in general for such an extended period of time. And it was so challenging to lose our regular schedule and try to add structure to our day and be consistent with naps and bedtime (we both watched a lot of television in those two weeks).

Lucy and I were both suffering, so by the last week of May, I started looking into alternatives. After countless calls to Southwest Airlines and probably hours on their website, I figured out a plan. We completely cancelled our trip to DC to visit Elaine with my mom, I changed Lucy's July 4th ticket back to Utah to a May 30th ticket and I bought two new one way tickets - one back to Salt Lake City with Lucy on May 30th and the other back to Boston on July 28th for my friend Jamie's wedding which I would travel out and attend alone instead of bringing Lucy with me (and kept my original July 4th ticket to fly back home to Utah).

Thank goodness Southwest lets you cancel and change around flights without penalty (besides paying the difference in ticket prices). And thank goodness we have so many reward points with them because there would have been no way we could have afforded it otherwise. I think I owe a love letter to Southwest for their great customer service in helping me get everything sorted out.

I just still can't believe how homesick I got. Once I got home, it was so awesome to sleep in my own bed and get Lucy back on a schedule and have a routine again, especially going to the gym. I worked around my house organizing and cleaning, and my yard and my garden and had date nights with my husband. I still feel very foolish for even thinking we could go an entire month and a half away from each other - sometimes you have to learn the lesson the hard way. I was definitely sad to miss out on my trip to DC with my mom but knew that I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I wanted to. What I didn't miss was all the humidity in Massachusetts (and sharing a bed with Lucy while she kicked me in the face). I did miss getting to see all my friends but would see them in less than a month for Jamie's wedding. Seriously, Dorothy was right - there's no place like home.

No comments: