Thursday, May 14, 2009

Downfalls of Breastfeeding

So even though I am extremely happy to be able to breastfeed Lucy, nursing doesn't come without some shortcomings as well. I completely understand why some mothers choose to use formula because it is a very personal decision. Here is a list of my gripes with breastfeeding - it helps me to vent a little:

1. It's all up to mom - cause unfortunately, men haven't evolved to lactate yet. I suppose I could pump and let Brandon (or anyone for that matter) give Lucy a bottle but if I have to pump, I might as well just nurse directly.

2. Engorgement - I suppose it's a good thing that I don't have any problems with milk supply but I just wish it would normalize already. This is especially a pain at night as Lucy goes longer between feedings and I am stomach-sleeper (or prefer to be) but the two rocks attached to my chest interfere with my already inhibited sleep. And then when they're engorged, it makes latching a little more difficult for Lucy. And lopsided breasts during the day are just not that attractive.

3. Leakage - I already feel somewhat guilty for my impact on the environment by using disposable diapers but at least it wasn't unexpected. I had no idea how many disposable breast pads I would be going through (and I've tried the reusable, washable ones and they're terribly ineffective). And I can't even count how many times I have sprayed Lucy in the face during a feeding as she has detached (and she is only 1 month!)

Of course, the benefits outweigh these small inconveniences for me. And now Lucy calls for her second lunch...

2 comments:

Grasshopper said...

amen sistah.

Syed said...

A standout among st the most ideal approaches to wipe out this reason is by working out routinely. Exercise expands your stamina and decreases fat as well as enhances supply of blood and oxygen to the private parts. This can be a noteworthy advance in upgrading your sexual want.