Thursday, June 18, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

Happy Father's Day to my Dad living all the way in Japan. The picture above was taken in Japan at the Edo-Tokyo Museum the last time we visited in May 2007. I imagine that sometimes fatherhood does feel like manual labor and having a little too much weight on your shoulders.

I haven't seen my Dad since last July but I look forward to this September when I will see him again in Japan and introduce him to his newest granddaughter. Lucy didn't inherit Dad's blue eyes like her cousin, Maya but she did inherit his hands with long, skinny fingers which her mom also has. Hopefully, she didn't inherit the Sturgis legs.

But I'm grateful to my father for always supporting me in all that I do. He was fully supportive when I wanted to major in pharmacy at University of Connecticut instead of following the family tradition of going to BYU. Then he was fully supportive of my decision to transfer to BYU when all that didn't work out. He was even fully supportive of my decision to tranfer back to UConn after I thought BYU wasn't working out although it never happened. He was fully supportive of my decision to get married while still attending BYU (maybe because then he wouldn't have to pay my last year of college tuition).

So I have to give my dad props for being able to deal with a daughter's constant mind-changing in college and the terrible teenage moodiness I gave him in high school. I don't know how he put up with me. Maybe because he's a father and that's what fathers do. Happy Father's Day!

No comments: