Thursday, June 25, 2009

Father's Day Breakfast

I come from a family that is pretty mellow. We don't make a big deal about birthdays or holidays. I guess that this can also be seen as lazy. Holidays like Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day and Father's Day often seem over-commercialized and just a way for Hallmark to make money with those over-priced cards. But the thing is, we (or I) should be putting the meaning into those holidays and I don't need to do it by spending lots of money - just by being thoughtful. So instead of avoiding the commercialization of the holidays by completely ignoring the holiday, I just have to find meaningful, thoughtful ways to sidestep it. Because it's a great thing to celebrate mothers, fathers, birthdays, and the birth and resurrection of Christ even though "the world" tries to tell you that the best way to do this is to spend more money than you have. Sigh.

For Father's Day this year, especially since it was Brandon's first, my sister, Elaine recommended that I make him a yummy breakfast. I started getting all these ideas of just how I wanted it to be but alas, it ended up much simpler than what I had planned in my head. I even shelled out the $4.29 for the card even though I felt like I could make one just as nice but knew that I never would. But I guess there is always next year to be ambitious and then I can start earlier (if I remember to).

Breakfast was french toast with strawberries and cream. I wish that I could have done breakfast in bed but we don't have a tray. Brandon had no idea and it was quite hard to get him out of bed. It was also extremely hard for me to even find the motivation to make breakfast so early but I didn't want to look back and regret that I did nothing. It was a small sacrifice to make my husband know that he is appreciated as a father even though the gesture was relatively small and simple. And there is his overpriced Hallmark card but I think that his eyes actually watered when he read it, so well done, Hallmark. There should have been a framed picture of Lucy on the side for Brandon to take to work but that was one of those ideas that never happened...

Here is a picture of the new father in some bad light (or is that my bad photography skills). We ended up being an hour late for church because of breakfast but I figure Father's Day is a good excuse to be late to church. Besides, church is three hours long so two out of three ain't bad.

No comments: