Sunday, November 11, 2012

Just Peachy!

So even though my pregnancy sickness my first trimester was much more intense than with Lucy, I still managed to get a few things done. Since I felt crappy whether I was lying in bed or actually doing work, I did manage to clean up my house every once in a while.

One big project I accomplished with the help of Brandon was freezing some peaches. Emily had a neighbor who had boxes of local Utah peaches so we each bought one. And as much as I love Utah peaches, you can only eat so much at once (and I think I might have thrown them up a couple of times). So we went to work freezing them so we could use them throughout the winter. I really, really want to jar peaches sometime but that takes a little bit more time, work, and resources so we went the easy route (jars, syrup, steaming or sterilizing or whatever you do). But zippered freezer bags, I had. Next year though. I will buy two or three times the amount of peaches, jar them, and eat peaches straight from the jar and in my Cream of Wheat and oatmeal year round. Yum!

Brandon was in charge of boiling the peaches enough to slip the skin off while I cut and arranged them on the cookie sheet to freeze.

I think we ended up with three cookie sheets full which filled up two bulging gallon sized bags. They have been great in smoothies but I went right to work on one of my favorites with some of the fresh peaches....

Peach Custard Pie! Obviously, I haven't filled it with custard yet and completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product. But needless to say, that pie made with those peaches is just one of the reasons that the end of summer is so wonderful in Utah.

5 comments:

Kumi said...

Great!! The pie shell is beautiful. I am sure the custard pie must have been very tasty.
Are you going to purchase a caner? If so, a pressure cooker caner is great

Emily said...

Wish I knew to freeze them on a cookie tray first...

MamaQ said...

i wish i could have had some of that pie...
those peaches and the fact that my favorite sisters in utah are almost enough to entice me to move there!

Natalie said...

Those peaches look so good. I wish I could eat them right now! Canning them is pretty easy. Maybe, just maybe, I will be there next summer and we can do it together.

Candace said...

that looks amazing. i canned peaches with my mom this fall. i'll try and bring ya some.