Saturday, November 03, 2012

Dayton Family California Vacation

Because my dad's visit to Utah overlapped with Brandon's family's vacation in California by a few days (and we only get to see my Dad about once a year), Lucy and I flew out to California on Tuesday, July 31st while everyone else in Brandon's family arrived in California on Saturday, July 28th. Brandon drove down with his dad and two brothers so I was actually pretty happy to have an excuse to take the much shorter flight instead of driving.

The family ended up renting the Golden Fantasy Mansion in Carlsbad which just by the name alone, sounded pretty...interesting. I wish I took more pictures of the place because it was definitely quirky. I guess it was owned by some Hollywood props guy so there were all these random things around the house used as decorations.

I hadn't done any traveling to southern California prior to this trip but I have to say, you can't really beat the weather. It's pretty amazing. However, I don't care for the traffic. Fortunately, we were just a few miles from the beach and we spent most of our time there.

 Lucy loved the beach. And we loved how many people there were to play with and entertain her.








The best part of the trip for Lucy was probably playing with her cousins. All the Dayton cousins live outside of Utah so she doesn't get to see them much. Lucy gets along especially well with her cousin, Taylor who lives in New York and is closest in age to her. But the older girls took good care of her too.





I forget that kids can just play in sand FOREVER!



But cuddling and relaxing also made it on to the agenda.







The adults (excluding myself because I felt so crappy) did a lot of body surfing. I tried to make myself useful by taking pictures.

This guy lost his wedding ring in the ocean. I was actually pretty impressed that he held on to it for almost 8 years!

What a hunk I married! My pasty white hunk!!


And this girl had so much sand in her swimsuit, I was sure we must have been doing something awful to the drains when we got home.

Nap times were definitely more intense with all the energy being expended.

The family talent show took place as usual. Brandon and I always talk about putting something together and then we never do and end up winging it.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) there was a karaoke machine for us procrastinators.

Cameron and Erin serenaded us with "I Wish They All Could Be California Girls".


I think Erin's girls were wondering why their mom was wearing that hideous dress (one of the gems found in the garage). She at least put in some effort in the costume department which was more than the rest of us could say.

Damian helped the kids sing along to "Alphabet of Nations" by They Might Be Giants.



Damian was one of the few who actually prepared a little number. He sang and played "Nothing Matters When We're Dancing" by Magnetic Fields.

And all the kids starting dancing. It was really sweet.

This is one of Lucy's favorite songs to dance along with her daddy.



Ethan shared a short story that he wrote.


Giant sandcastles were built...










...good food was consumed (I wish I took some pictures of our yummy meals), and many Olympics were watched. Everyone in the family except me, Brandon, and Lucy went to Legoland. Lucy was in dire need of a nap and we heard it was kinda disappointing (and really expensive!).

Driving home from California was pretty rough for me, even though we stopped overnight in St. George. But despite the travel time, I think I would take California over Lake Powell any day.

2 comments:

Kumi said...

Thanks for many pics. I really enjoyed seeing them.

Mark said...

Yes, thank you, Annie, for sharing all these wonderful family pictures.