Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mother-in-Law Visit, Part I (July 27th-30th)

Some daughter-in-laws don't always look forward to their mother-in-law visiting, especially when they have a new baby. But I definitely was. Before Susan came out, I sent her an e-mail telling her how excited I was to have her stay with us because then she could hold and play with her new granddaughter (and I wouldn't have to feel guilty or worry that Lucy wasn't getting enough attention) and then I would be able to get lots of cleaning done around my house and errands done around town and have someone to keep me company. Maybe even sneak out on a date with my husband since we had free babysitting. But things don't always turn out the way we plan, do they?

After returning home from our string of crazy trips - Mass, Lake Powell, and Wyoming - I was so worn out and had absolutely no motivation to do anything. I spent a good portion of the day in my bed and was afraid that I had some postpartum depression returning with a vengeance. It's hard to think back to this time because those feelings feel so foreign now, but at the time, it seemed that I would never feel any different. I guess that is what depression is like. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy - there is nothing so hopeless and frustrating.

In addition to these feelings of depression, Lucy's sleeping was still off and since we had her sleeping in our bedroom (Brandon's mom was sleeping in the spare bed in Lucy's room), lack of sleep was also compounding the problem. So out the window went all my ideas about getting stuff done. When Susan left, the house was a mess, she had done the majority (all) of the cooking, and I started throwing up in the mornings. Susan gave me a scare that maybe I was pregnant and suffering from morning sickness but I knew I wasn't. I was allowing myself to get so stressed out that my body was having a very negative physiological response. And I knew this because it happened those first couple weeks when Lucy was born (and it magically went away as soon as I stopped being so stressed). I would just vomit all this liquid each morning (since my stomach was empty by that time) and then gag and choke on my cereal afterward. Fun, right?

So my poor mother-in-law - she felt pretty helpless. But each day was a little bit better. We went here:and finally bought a crib for Lucy (which I still need to put together).

Then I went to this guy:
and found out I had ten cavities. That's right, people - 10 cavities! I guess pregnancy can make you more susceptible to cavities because of the acid from throwing up and reflux as well as an actual change in the pH of your saliva from the hormones, thrown in with your baby leeching minerals from your bones and teeth if you aren't getting the proper nutrition. Makes sense, I guess. I hadn't had cavities in years so it really sucked and I had just had a cleaning and check-up when I was 6 months pregnant and was fine. Apparently, it doesn't happen to all women but I have talked to several women who said that they had a similar experience. And I frankly wasn't too surprised cause although I ate really well during pregnancy - I hadn't been eating very well after pregnancy and also did have a lot of reflux toward the end of my pregnancy and more vomiting after pregnancy than during. But thank goodness that we have good dental insurance.

So yeah - I'm sure that Brandon's mom didn't have the best time during those few days but she was going to California to visit her other son and grandkids and would be back in Utah with us the next week for a few more days with us. I was determined that by the time she returned, I would be back to my normal self...

1 comment:

Dixiechick said...

I had 12 cavitites after having Livy and then 5 more at my 6 month follow up visit. I feel your pain sister. :)