Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fanfarlo at Urban Lounge on April 5th

Radiolab would have usually sufficed for a great date night but when we found out that Fanfarlo was playing at Urban Lounge the very next night, we just had to go. We had gone to their show two years ago and even though I wasn't familiar at all with their music at that time, I really fell in love with their music since then.

This most recent show was a late show where doors didn't even open until 9:00 pm and the show didn't start until 10:00 pm which meant we didn't even see the band until 11:00 pm because we had to watch the opening band first. So needless to say, it was a super late night for us. But fortunately, it was spring break for all the public schools so I was able to find a babysitter to watch Lucy past midnight.

There weren't as many people there as at the last show in 2010, the opening band wasn't as good as two years ago (though pretty solid) and unfortunately, the lead singer was battling some sickness so he wasn't in top shape. The other downside is that one of the bandmember's violin wasn't working so well and that is one of my favorite elements of their music. But considering the circumstances, I thought it was still a great show. And because there weren't as many people there, we got to be right in the second row and I was able to get some pretty good pictures.

Throughout the show, I was trying to figure out around how old these guys were because they look so young but they sound so good and experienced. Turns out, it was the lead singer's birthday that night and he had just turned 31.

The band definitely has a geeky-chic look going on. The lead singer and female back-up singer are super skinny and the lead singer was wearing these elastic waistband tapered pants that were tight-rolled at the bottom with white socks and dress shoes. But you can pull off any look you want when your music is good.

I love that many of the band members play multiple instruments. This is from their Wikipedia page:

Members

  • Amos Memon – vocals, drums and percussion
  • Cathy Lucas – violin, keys, mandolin, glockenspiel, vocals, musical saw, online scrabble dictionary
  • Justin Finch – bass, vocals
  • Leon Beckenham – trumpet, keyboards, glockenspiel, melodica, vocals
  • Simon Balthazar – vocals, guitar, keyboards, mandolin, saxophone, clarinet


Wow! I wish I played just one instrument. And cool names too - maybe I will name a son Simon...or Amos...or Balthazar.

I have to admit, despite the geeky look, I kinda have a crush on the lead singer. If you could fall in love with someone just based on their voice, it might be him (but that just might be due to the accent - they are based out of London). But then again, I've always had a thing for skinny, geeky guys (just take a look at my husband!).

Sometimes, I don't understand bands that make such good music aren't more popular. It seems like the most exposure they have gotten is from being on the soundtrack to the Twilight Saga: Eclipse movie or the Season 4 finale of Chuck although they have performed on NPR (I love NPR!). But anyway, if you haven't heard of Fanfarlo or have never listened to their music, it's totally worth listening to.

Here is one of my favorite songs, I'm a Pilot:


And funny coincidence - I was checking out their facebook page and saw that they had actually gone to the Radiolab show the previous evening when we had gone because they had the night off and love the show. It would have been cool to see them there except I wonder if I would have even recognized them...

Anyway, another great date night making a great (and exhausting) date week!

No comments: