Saturday, January 21, 2012

Weekday Adventures

After MLK Day, we went back to our normal weekly schedule which consists of Brandon going to work, Lucy going to daycare, and me working on the house. Since we hired a painter to paint the doors and trim, I didn't want to get in the way so I mostly worked on getting bids for blinds for the windows and may have done a little shopping throughout the week. Thursdays usually consist of going to Emily's house to watch Olive while her mom is at work. Emily signed the girls up to attend the Wee Read Program at Pleasant Grove Library (so we have something to do in the cold winter months and I'm not so tempted to sit and watch television all morning with the girls out of boredom).

These pictures are actually from the week before, but you get the idea - this is what it is like at the library.

Olive looks like a zombie a bit - maybe she was just sad that Lucy keeps stealing all her clothes.
Obviously, you can see that I do a really good job of cleaning the girls up after breakfast and doing their hair. They may not be the best groomed children in the program, but they are some of the best behaved and I'll take that over cute matching outfits and perfectly coiffed hair any day. I wish I could catch them in some of their action shots when they are singing the cute songs, but I don't want it to be distracting for the librarians. I'm just really glad that Emily took the time to sign us up for a fun program like this. Thanks, Emily!

On babysitting days, Lucy and I like to stay until late at Emily's house and mooch off of her food and let the girls play/fight with each other all day up to bath and bedtime. But since Emily had some plans that night, we headed out earlier than normal and went to pick up Brandon. It was already late so we decided to eat out and stopped by Asia Palace for some pho. There is a fairly healthy Vietnamese population in Salt Lake and even though I've lived in Utah for many years now, I haven't gotten around to eating pho at one of the many Vietnamese restaurants because it just never really appealed to me. But I figured that I should at least try it before judging it and I'm only disappointed that I haven't tried it sooner because I LOVED it! And what was even better was that it was a fairly cheap dinner - just $6.50 per bowl! I wish I took a picture of it because it is also very pretty. I always thought all the fresh herbs and bean sprouts would be too strong but it was really, really refreshing. This isn't my picture but you can get an idea of what it looks like here:

I mean, I guess it is kinda like Japanese ramen noodles but it is different and delicious in its own way. I'm so looking forward to eating this again and it's a plus that Lucy loves noodles of all type. What a great way to end the day - with delicious food at a restaurant you want to go to again.

Friday ended up being a little more eventful than we planned. We stayed up late on Thursday night and woke up late and found out we had a flat tire. But Brandon changed it all on his own (the only help I offered was in the form of advice to loosen the lug nuts before he jacked up the car). I meant to take a picture of him in all his manly glory but the battery in my camera died and I needed charge it so I just got a picture with the spare. Instead of driving all together to drop Brandon off at work and Lucy off at daycare, Brandon took TRAX into work and Lucy and I went to get the flat repaired.  

I'm usually more loyal to Japanese manufacturers but I love our Korean Hyundai - what a great car!

Fortunately, we didn't have to drive far to our local Les Schwab store where I had just purchased four brand new tires for the car a couple of weeks ago (only cause I had a coupon there - and obviously because we also needed new tires). So the flat repair was free since the tires were still under warranty and we also got free popcorn while we were waiting. I was able to clip my coupons and watch Rachael Ray on tv while Lucy munched away. 

Mom - don't freak out about how clean the table is and correlate it with the next event.

So Lucy missed half a day of daycare on Friday but I was still able to get my food shopping done and have lunch with my friend, Candace and bring her some flowers for her birthday.

Since Brandon got to work so late, instead of picking him up directly from work after picking Lucy up from daycare, Lucy and I went to Target to pick up some birthday gifts for her cousin, Olive, and another friend later in the week. She was super tired and clingy and wanted to be held on my back in her carrier but I didn't think much of it until we were picking up Brandon from work and she complained that she was feeling sick. So when we got back to Damian's, we cuddled up on the couch and watched My Neighbor Totoro.


You would think after two and a half years of being a mother, I would be more aware of Lucy's signs and be prepared for what was about to happen next, but I wasn't. Lucy started gagging and I knew she was about to vomit all over the couch so I just cupped my hands in front of her and she threw up into them. I'm a little ashamed to say that I was mostly concerned about my brother-in-law's couch getting vomit all over it. Thank goodness Brandon was home to help me - he grabbed a bowl to catch the vomit in my hands that was leaking out all down my arms and some towels to clean us up. I was pretty proud of my hands' cupping abilities. The damage to the couch was minimal and the one good thing about children vomiting is how much better they feel when they are done. We got Lucy to take a bath to clean her up and she finally had her appetite back and ate a bowl of rice, some avocado, and cheese quesadilla.

Here she is - one happy girl with the bug out of her stomach and some food in it.

5 comments:

Kumi said...

May be the popcorn at the car shop made her sick?????
I am glad her feeling not good got better so quickly!!!

Mark said...

Kids - if it's not coming out one end, it's coming out the other.

Kumi said...

The coat Lucy was wearing looks so familiar.... Is it hers or Olive's????

Kumi said...

Oh, I realized that the white unique fence and the cement block divider was removed from your driveway. It looks much nicer and looks wider!!

MamaD said...

Mom, the coat Lucy is wearing WAS Olive's. You originally sent it in package for Olive but Lucy liked it so much so that Emily let us have it (and maybe it didn't fit Olive very well - I can't remember). Anyway, it is our favorite coat and goes so cute with the hat - we always get compliments on it. Also, the driveway our car is parked in is Damian's driveway so that is why it looks wider. But we did take down the white fence in our driveway so it does look better but isn't much wider.