Friday, January 27, 2012

Sick Days

We've had terrible colds all week. So we've been taking it easy in the evenings. Which means we watch movies and tv.

Damian's girlfriend's son is one of Lucy's favorite people. She's always so happy when they come to visit and sad when he has to leave. Maybe part of the reason that she likes him so much is that he has helped her figure out how to use her Uncle Damian's iPad. She knows exactly how to get to Netflix and stream her favorite Kipper or Dora the Explorer shows. But Jet is also really good at sharing and has turned Lucy into an avid Power Rangers fan. She wants to be the pink Power Ranger, of course, and she often practices her fighting skills on us. I just wish I took this picture a little earlier when Jet had his arm around Lucy and she was cuddled up into him. It was so freaking adorable.

When Jet isn't around, we are trying to find other ways to entertain Lucy without too much effort on our part. Snack time turns into fun times when you get to eat it out of a cool, new stainless steel bento-style lunchbox. I actually got this in the mail for free from Clif bar as a Christmas present for being on their e-mail list or something. I just never broke it out because we haven't really gone out much with the holidays and weather and daycare. But just cause we don't go out, doesn't mean we can't use it at home, I realized.

So we filled it with organic raspberries and blueberries and pineapple and Lucy got such a kick out o it. She loved the little container on the inside and now always wants to eat out of it.

And this is also dishwasher safe, thank goodness!


Her new favorite thing is sticking her fingers into the raspberries and popping them in her mouth.


This lunchbox is almost exactly the same as this lunchbox sold on Amazon for about $15 and I got it for FREE (except I had to whore my name and address out to this company but I'm okay with that if they send me free stuff!). But really, I was super excited because I've been trying to switch over to glass and metal storage so I am not wasting plastic baggies and they are just so much more durable and long lasting than plastic and I don't have to worry about BPA or any other weird chemicals.

I'm so excited to start filling this with real bento-style lunches for when we are out and about once we move back into our house. Have you ever seen these egg molds?

So. Seriously. Cute! Mom - can you find some of these for me at the hyaku-en stores in Japan? And I know that I just said that I'm trying to avoid plastics and all but what kid wouldn't want to eat their hard-boiled egg if it was shaped like this!!!!

I mean, I guess I could order this myself off of Amazon because it is less than $5 but Brandon thinks it is wasteful and we are actually trying to get RID of stuff and not accumulate more but if someone got it for me or Lucy as a gift, then we would have no choice but to use it. (Hint, hint!)


While we are watching our movies, I'm also finally getting around to sending out some thank you cards for Christmas (sorry they are so late!). But might I mention that I also got those cool note cards for FREE from One Kings Lane after I ordered a fine mesh sieve for them for FREE (although I did have to pay shipping but I really did need a new fine mesh sieve and it is incredible quality so I justify the $5 shipping costs). Okay, I know, I am kinda obsessed with free and discounted things. I should get help for it...but seriously, aren't they cool note cards? They have little things embossed on the top of the cards like elephants, beehives, keys, and a topiary.

PS Mom - this is Lucy's favorite dress. She calls it her "Princess" dress and wants to wear it all the time. 

We watched Howl's Moving Castle (which might be one of my favorite Studio Ghibli movies because I love Christian Bale's voice in it (even though his character is kinda girly) and Emily Mortimer is so sweet. I enjoyed the movie so much that I read the book it was based on and sadly, it wasn't that good. But they did such a good job turning it into a movie and making the characters so much more likable.


And after we watch this movie, Lucy insists on being called Sophie (the main girl in the movie) and that Brandon is called Howl (the main guy in the movie). And apparently, they have clones because I am also Sophie and while Brandon is "Daddy Howl", Damian is "Uncle Damian Howl".

Anyway, we don't do much or at least haven't recently. But even when we are doing "nothing", it's still something special to do it together with family.




3 comments:

Kumi said...

The stainless bento box is great!!! I cannot find any stainless bento box with cute charcter. So, I bought aluminum one for Maya. OK, I will check boiled-egg shapes in a store someday. I am so happy to see grand daughters like things I made,,,

Kendra said...

I love that bento box... I may have to pony up the cash on Amazon for one of those. Jeez, you are really helping me shop - first the prints and now this! Also, Sophie will be the name of our little girl : )

MamaM said...

The Sophie and Howl names are hilarious. And, yes, you need help for your "free" obsession.