Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday with Lucy

My mom always used to make comments on my blog requesting that there be less writing and more pictures. I don't think that I can accommodate the less writing request but I will definitely try to do better with the more pictures request.

Today's adventures gave me plenty of opportunity to take tons of pictures of Lucy. I can't say how good they are, but okay pictures are better than no pictures. And I guess, practice makes perfect.

My schedule has been off for the past 6 month since we have been renovating our home (a subject I will have to address in a much longer post a little later, I hope). My Saturdays usually consist of going to the gym in the morning and putting Lucy in gym daycare, and maybe doing some shopping afterwards and a date at night if we're lucky. But since I have been so irregular in going to the gym since our renovations started, I kinda threw it out of the window today when I heard about the free Pottery Barn Storage and Organization Class (and they have all these other free events throughout the month as well). I love trying new things out and I especially love when they are FREE! And I could definitely use some help with storage and organization now that we will be moving back into our home in a couple of weeks. So anyway, I thought it would be worth to skip my regular gym class so I could attend.

I brought Lucy along with me because they were having a concurrent children's craft while the parents attended the class and thought she would love it. After telling her we were going to Pottery Barn, she was really excited to see the horses so she may have been a little disappointed with all the furniture and home decor. I made the mistake of not calling my store in advance to confirm that they were actually having the class. As you can guess, I found out the class at the Salt Lake Pottery Barn is actually held on Sunday! Bummer. But since I hadn't been to Pottery Barn in forever, I thought I would walk around and get some ideas for decorating my house.

Of course, the last time I went to Pottery Barn, I was not a mother and forgot how non-childproof the store is even though I saw several other parents with children (my mother-in-law would have called it a "hands behind the back" store which is a policy I think I need to introduce to Lucy when she is a little older). Lucy was actually really good and I was keeping an eye on her like a hawk since there were so many breakable, glass things right at her level that she kept grabbing. But all it took was a second and I hear a smash and turn around to see a candle in a glass jar smashed on the ground with glass all over the place. Fortunately, Lucy was fine and there weren't a lot of people around and I was able to quickly find a salesperson to let him know what happened. I offered to pay for the item (which was way overpriced at $20 but a reasonable amount I could afford if needed) but thankfully, he was very cool about it and said not to worry and went about cleaning it all up. Lucy and I hightailed it out of there since I knew there would just be more trouble if we stayed. But I'm still a little sad that I didn't buy the sheet set I saw on clearance for $9.97!! I mean, that would be an excellent price for Target sheets! But I couldn't justify the purchase since the sheets were for a full bed and I only have queen beds. I was even calling around to family and friends to see if anyone owned a full bed so I could buy it for them. And there were even matching 2 matching Euro shams for just $12 each. So if anyone with a full bed needs new sheets, there was one set left of these white sheets with embroidered green dots on the border at my Pottery Barn.

You would think after that mishap, I would have just headed home but I was curious to check out Pottery Barn Kids since Lucy's room is also in need of some redesign. And oh my gosh, it was so freaking adorable. Lucy just wanted everything in that store and I have to admit, I did too! But after she started squabbling with some other kids over this awesome retro kitchen and its accessories, we set off again.


We may have made a quick stop to Williams-Sonoma on the way back to the car but the rest of the morning was devoted solely to Lucy. Despite some yawning from Lucy, we made our way over to Discovery Gateway since we purchased a membership there last year that we rarely use with all the housing renovations. Lucy loves it there but I knew it would be a bit boring for me without any adult companionship. But I figured that I could practice taking pictures with my camera. Here is what we got:

Just like her mom, the girl loves to shop (and eat)!



The girl is no stranger to technology - she already knows her way around an ipad better than I do.

At least she likes her vegetables!








She loves this little furniture that is just her size.


She also has a special affinity for boats after riding in her Grandpa Dayton's boat.

But I don't think the "water" here was quite as exciting.

She must have checked the mail about a half a dozen times.



Here she is "tasting" the plastic food.




She was very engaged in the construction zone - she may have inherited some remodeling genes from her parents.




The vacuum tubes were also a big hit. Mom was able to get in a little reading while she stayed occupied with this.



If only she had a car of her own! We actually have a little car for her but she hasn't seen it for a while since it's in storage.

She doesn't even mind filling it up.



I never even looked in the little mouse hole to see what was so entertaining in there but she loved it.

And back to the water one last time before we left. This girl was all over the place!



Brandon had gone to an auto show with his friend, Kohl but we had planned to meet up for lunch afterward since Kohl and his wife lived fairly close to where Discovery Gateway is. They couldn't come soon enough because Lucy was so hungry, I caught her first literally trying to bite the plastic food in the play kitchen, and then picking crumbs off the floor from a smashed cracker and stuffing it in her mouth. We skipped out on the sit-down restaurants and opted to eat at the food court of the Gateway with Kohl and Chris so we could get some food into her quickly. I could tell Lucy was really tired based on how irritable she was being but I wasn't quite expecting her to fall asleep in my arms. It is very rare for her to put her head on the table and just zonk out but that is exactly what she did.

Since she was already asleep, we decided to take advantage of it and stop by Anthropologie since our painter told us that they had some cool vintage-y door knobs there that we might like for our new doors. Not used to holding Lucy for such extended periods of time and being without my carrier or stroller, this is where Lucy ended up:

She might have left a little drool mark on that leather couch but it was nice to shop without worrying about her breaking anything else. And other customers thought she was a pretty cute addition to the store decor. I would have to agree.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

She is so cute and getting so big! We are decorating our nursery with a lot of help from Pottery Barn Baby - just in love with their stuff.

MamaM said...

You make me laugh. #1 Feeling compelled to find someone to buy those sheets for--and feeling compelled to write about it. #2 Lucy eating crumbs off the floor. And #3, Lucy's entire outfit is Olive's. I love that Lu is just KO'ed on the couch. I wish Olive would do that.

MamaD said...

Sorry about stealing that outfit - I had actually borrowed it for our video shoot on Friday because I wanted some cute options but we didn't end up needing it so it got work on Saturday. I was pretty surprised that she just fell asleep in my arms - she was pretty exhausted. If you let Olive stay up late enough the night before, she will do that for you too!