Sunday, April 28, 2013

Christmas Morning

Christmas morning was pretty low-key. Despite our best efforts, we went to bed pretty late the night before with our Christmas preparations - getting stockings ready and wrapping gifts. I tried not to go crazy with Lucy's presents and stay within a budget but after the fact, wish I had done just a little bit more. The big indulgence was the Barbie in her stocking from Santa Claus. It wasn't expensive at all but I had been avoiding getting her a Barbie for a while. But she specifically asked for one after having so much fun playing with the neighbor's Barbie dolls. Not that I think that they are bad or have anything against them, but I guess I am trying to steer her towards something else, maybe more educational? Like the Melissa & Doug Pattern Blocks and Boards which she didn't seem too excited about when she opened (at least I got it on sale). But I found a ballerina Barbie which I thought she might like since she loves to dance. I just made sure to get the Barbie with the dark hair and purple outfit to expand her past her love of pink. I was actually really sad because I missed this great price on a Disney Princess Barbie doll at Target but I think in the end, the ballerina doll works better for her. The bigger splurge gift was some L.L. Bean snowshoes since Brandon and I have snowshoes and we thought it would be fun to go snowshoeing together as a family. Unfortunately, she tried them out once in the front yard and wasn't crazy about them - maybe next year when she is a little older.

She got a few other things in her stocking from Santa - a Disney princess flashlight to keep by her bed at night and a couple pairs of leggings. I made sure that Brandon knew he couldn't skimp on my stocking and he didn't - I got some essential oils, cookie cutters, a headlamp, and some fancy chocolates from Tony Caputos. Damian joined us as well and Santa didn't forget him either. Both Brandon and I found stuff for him so I think that his stocking was the fullest with some cured meats and cheeses from Caputos as well. My contributions to the boys stockings were less cool - things I had picked up that I appreciated more for what great deals they were and not as much for how much Brandon and Damian would like them. So the cheap chocolates, body wash, and after shave kinda just took up space but I hope could still be useful. I'll do better next year...

Brandon helped Lucy write a letter to Santa - Lucy dictated and Brandon wrote. But Lucy signed it herself - I can't believe that she is writing her name by herself. It happened all so suddenly and I'm not even sure exactly when.

Although I had already bought Lucy several gifts, Brandon felt like he should get her something as well so it would be more meaningful for him as a father. So on his shopping day, he picked up this Tangled cut-out.

Damian was so sweet and made us a yummy breakfast in the morning of french toast smothered in roasted pears with whipped cream and pomegranate seeds. Besides making us breakfast, Damian was quite generous with us as well. Lucy received a make-up kit and Hello Kitty purse from her uncle. He got us two children's books that were really cute. I also received a cookbook and Anchor glass 13x9 inch pan with a cover and travel case which I love - I really appreciate practical things I will actually use.

We were so glad that Damian could join us and put extra effort in finding a thoughtful gift for him since we are forever thankful that he let us live with him rent free for seven months while we renovated our home. I feel like we so often receive gifts that aren't very useful or meaningful or good for a laugh but then they just take up space so I thought long and hard for a gift that would actually be useful and appreciated. Since Damian enjoys cooking and experimenting in the kitchen, I found one of these:

Source
A blue Le Creuset Dutch oven at TJ Maxx which was much more reasonably priced than Amazon or Williams-Sonoma so I splurged a bit for him because I love mine so much and I knew he wanted one too. I have to admit, it was one of my prouder gift giving moments because I thought long and hard about a gift that Damian would actually want and I searched high and low for it. Damian doesn't provide wish lists so as a gift giver, you actually have to think about it.

Poor Brandon just got some slipper socks (which he ended up returning), winter hat/gloves set, and separate wind-resistant gloves from me - all things that were on his wish list but just not very exciting. This next Christmas, I will put much more effort into my husband's gifts. Although we sometimes end up gifting ourselves after the holidays - Brandon treated himself to a Big Jam Box (a wireless bluetooth speaker that I initially thought was pointless but is actually kinda cool).  Brandon got me a new non-stick pan and a stainless steel pan because my original non-stick Calphalon set that we got when we were married are not in the best condition. However, I ended up returning them because I still want to do some research into what pots and pans I want as a replacement (and I just don't have very much room in my kitchen). Then I renewed my gym membership for the year instead (which was much more expensive but worth it, I hope).

3 comments:

MamaQ said...

That breakfast looks amazing.
I'm glad you're catching up on your posts. It's fun to see what you've been up to.

Emily said...

You are so funny with what details you include. I can't believe you remember all that stuff. I love practical gifts too!

Emily said...

Oh and I love Lucy's letter and the Tangled cut-out.