Saturday, February 23, 2013

Gateway Tree Lighting - November 17, 2012

In my efforts to actually get out of the house and do things together as a family, I planned for us to go to the Gateway Tree Lighting. Also, we live so close to downtown, it would be a shame not to take advantage of all the cool (and often free) activities there are. Lastly, the weather had been pretty mild and I wanted to make the holidays feel special for Lucy since she was old enough to actually enjoy them.

We went early enough so that we would have time to eat out. We ended up at California Pizza Kitchen, I'm sure because I had a coupon for a free appetizer or dessert or something. The food was just okay - we got Avocado Club Rolls for an appetizer and Roasted Artichoke & Spinach Thin Crust Pizza. I'm turning into a bit of a food snob and don't care to eat at chain restaurants so much anymore because there are so many better locally owned places. I was sad that I got talked into getting the pumpkin cheesecake for dessert since it was a seasonal item but it just wasn't that good. Oh well - Lucy seemed to enjoy it (or at least the whipped cream part).

























We stopped by the toy store Blickenstaff's to browse for a bit because Brandon wasn't interested in seeing Kurt Bestor perform (and Lucy probably wasn't either). There were supposed to be free cookies and hot chocolate being handed out at the event but they ran out of hot chocolate so I had to appease myself (and Lucy) with just a cookie.


















The actual tree lighting was all coordinated with music and a light show and it was pretty fun. I took video of it but I can't find it (and I'm not sure how to upload it).


Overall, I think our family date night was a success. I feel so fortunate that we live just 10 minutes away from the Gateway. Maybe we could have had better food but the temperature wasn't too cold and it helped us get into the spirit of the Christmas season!

2 comments:

MamaQ said...

mmmmmm. pumpkin cheesecake...

Emily said...

What? You don't love Kurt Bestor?