Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Salvation...

No, it's not JC in this particular instance although BHJC is great for a laugh - rather, it's a weekly date night. I took for granted these weekly date nights pre-Lucy but now, I know better. It's not always my biggest priority and if we don't plan ahead, sometimes it doesn't happen. But when we do have something fun planned and actually go and do it, I'm always astounded how much I look forward to doing it (read: escaping from my daughter and stay-at-home life) and how refreshed I am after we're done. And also how much more I look forward to seeing Lucy when we return home. Of course, it is not without some worry but overall, to forget that I'm responsible for my little one for a couple of hours is such sweet bliss.

Last weekend, we headed to downtown Salt Lake City to hit up Gallery Stroll with Kohl and Chris Glass, friends who just moved to SLC from Arizona. We got our grub on first at Himalayan Kitchen (good food if you like Indian/Nepali cuisine but small portions for the price and not the best service) then strolled down to Kayo Gallery where our friend, Jared Steffensen, had an installation piece in the show. Then we drove down to Discovery Gateway to see the Winter Wonderland show by our friend Cindy Ferguson who does Scherenshitte (the German art of papercutting which I love saying, especially after watching Inglourious Basterds).

I didn't take any pictures (of course) but here are some of her papercut pictures from online from the show:
How beautiful and intricate is that? When I first heard about papercutting, I was like, "Huh? What's the big deal," but it really is some beautiful stuff.


Someday, when we have a little bit more money set aside, I'm going to commission Cindy to do a papercut for Lucy's bedroom. You can read more about Cindy and her show here. It's free so check it out!

2 comments:

MamaM said...

Ooh, those are beautiful. Too bad original art is so expensive :(

candace said...

thanks for the shout out for Jared!