Friday, September 11, 2009

So Many Books...

...and now, so much time - spent nursing, that is. And reading makes for a perfect nursing time activity, especially if Lucy falls asleep on me and I don't want to disturb her. I used to think that mothers must have so much free time because they are always reading but the truth is, we are spending so much time into forced rest while we are breastfeeding. Well, here are some of the books that I've been enjoying these days:


The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
I know this is more of a childrens book but there are some adult themes I think especially when it comes to religion. Maybe I'm just interpreting it in my own way but I recommended that Brandon read it and we had some really interesting discussions about the symbolism and metaphors in the book. It may be nice to revisit if you've already read it before or seen the movie (which I love but is not as good as the book).


These Is My Words by Nancy TurnerThis is pretty much a period romance mingled with some adventure and tragedy although not quite on Jane Austen level (who really is though?). It was a fun, fast read though and I was fully engaged. I think that it was previously on my church's book club reading list but I must have missed that month...


The Interpreter of Maladies
by Jhumpa Lahiri
I'm usually not a fan of short stories but maybe I haven't been reading the right ones. My sister recommended this book to me a while ago and I was so glad that it was available at the library when I stopped by without having to put it on hold and wait for another library to send it or for someone to return it. The stories scan be a little sad but even though I'm usually not a big fan of downers, I enjoyed these - maybe because they seemed so real but also had some romance and heartbreak in them as well hope and strength. I also am intrigued by the Indian culture (which all her stories include in some way), especially intermingled with the experience of American immigration - maybe because I feel some connection to that growing up in a bicultural household of both Japanese and American traditions. The last story was a good one for me - I like when they end hopeful. I renewed this just so Brandon could read it in Japan.


Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
I got both Interpreter of Maladies and Unaccustomed Earth at the library at the same time. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to read it before it was due back and disappointed that I couldn't renew it because someone else had put it on hold. Fortunately, I tore through it in just 3 days. These stories were even more heart-breaking than Interpreter of Maladies - not so much hope here. But again, I loved how real they felt. I really like the author's writing style and how she develops her characters in such a short story. I'm looking forward to reading her other book, The Namesake when I get back from Japan.


Losing Kei by Suzanne Kamata
I finished this right before we left for Japan which got me kinda excited with all the Japanese references it has (it takes place in Japan). But even though it was a quick and easy read, it wasn't all that satisfying and I couldn't see it appealing to people who don't have an interest in Japan. The heroine was annoying in my opinion and the resolution was just a little too convenient. Maybe after reading all the Jhumpa Lahiri books, I was expecting something a little more realistic.

Julie & Julia
by Julie Powell

I borrowed this from Elaine while in Japan and it was perfect vacation reading. It had some laugh out loud moments and some other very poignant thoughts that I could really relate to. Now I want to watch the movie - I hope it does the book justice. Then I want to read Julia Child's book about Paris.

1 comment:

MamaM said...

So jealous you have so much time to read. I haven't even made it through a single pregnancy book during the past five months. So much to do...