Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Dia de los Muertos (November 3, 2012)

I know that we aren't Mexican but there is quite a large Latino population in our area so the libraries offer crafts and activities to cater to them. Dia de los Muertos (or Day of the Dead) takes place on November 1-2 and I vaguely remember covering it in my high school Spanish class. I always thought it was like a Mexican Halloween but it's more of a day remember friends and family who have died and is actually quite festive, joyful, and humorous at times. It's so much more fun learning about it as a parent with your child. We missed the actual celebration at our local library (just a few blocks away) but were able to make the it to another branch of the Salt Lake Library for the Saturday bilingual story time and craft.

Here is Lucy, decorating sugar skulls (calaveras) with frosting. Everything was edible so that was a nice treat.


We also colored paper skull masks although I think traditionally, people actually paint their faces.

I was really glad we just colored paper instead of our faces...

Because they had so many extra sugar skulls, Lucy made two and I made one as well. I was told people often write the name of a deceased family member on the skull so I wrote my obaa-chan's (my Japanese grandmother) name on my skull.

Working with the frosting was harder than I anticipated.

But Lucy, obviously had no problem with it.

Glad I can see my tax dollars go to work in entertaining Lucy!

No comments: