Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Car Seat Envy

I don't get it.

Lately, Lucy has occasionally been fighting me when I try to put her in her car seat. Even though she is over 12 months now, she is still in a rear facing car seat because with how little she weighs, she hasn't yet outgrown it. Maybe this fighting is a sign of a fierce, independent spirit we might have - I will have to SQUASH that before she gets into her terrible twos and temper tantrums (totally kidding about that - I love an independent spirit!). But for some reason, as much as she fights about her own car seat, she certainly seems to love other people's car seats.

Case #1:
Cousin, Olive has the same exact brand car seat, but I guess because it is a different color and new, she's all for it. Or maybe she loves it because she can actually play in it and not be strapped in it.

Case #2:
I don't have any photos to document this but the other day at church during Sunday school class, Lucy took it upon herself to mosy on over to another couple with a 4 month old baby and make herself at home in the empty car seat on the ground and continue to just relax there, foot dangling off the end and smiling at everyone around her.

I try not to be a helicopter mom so Lucy may fall on the side of "free range" kid. But at least at church, I just can't seem to keep a hold of her so I just let her off to explore. Which means that she is off pulling herself up on everyone's knees, getting into every purse and diaper bag on the floor, stealing toys, snacks, bottles, and sippy cups away from other babies. I bring her own toys, books, snacks, and drinks to church but she's not interested. Why, when there is this plethora of new and exciting things that don't belong to you? I try to be sensitive that other people in church may get annoyed with her (cause I also try not to be one of those moms that thinks that her kid is the greatest and that everyone must love her) but I figure that they can pick up their purses and bags from off the floor and shoot me a dirty look. I have gotten some looks I can't read so maybe I should count those in the "annoyed" category.

But despite some of the looks, I'll take my social butterfly any day. The thing is, she would probably make more of a scene if I'm constantly trying to keep her in my lap. Thank goodness church is full of such gracious mothers and babies who are already learning to share with a slightly pushy, independent, social butterfly.

2 comments:

Grasshopper said...

i'm all for the independent spirit, too! i love little lu!

Natalie said...

She's so cute. Church with a 1 year old is a joke!