Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dig Into Dance with SLC Ballet - August 6, 2013

Busy, busy, busy. That is how we like our summers. Actually, we mostly like to take advantage of the free activities at the library so we aren't bored. How I love the library and all the programs that they have! It gives us something to do and an excuse to get out of the house but still enjoy the air conditioning. And how convenient that we have a library just a few blocks away (even though I will guiltily admit that we usually drive since it is more convenient when you have little kids).

I was disappointed in July when I missed the activity with the Salt Lake City ballet at the main library so when I picked up the August library schedule, I was so happy to see that the same program would be offered at our library on a day that was convenient for us. Lucy was in her "not so interested in dance" phase so I was hoping to reignite her interest.

The first part of the program was BORING while the director of the SLC ballet pretty much gave a lecture about the history of ballet. But the dancing was fun and it started off with some of the younger dancers. I was a little disappointed that when the audience was invited to dance up front, Lucy didn't want to join in. But I can see how that can be intimidating for a four year old.



The most exciting part was seeing a real professional ballerina dance on pointe.


I thought it was very cool to be that close and see the details of the pretty costumes and the intricate footwork.



I can't remember if Lucy was just in a bad mood or not feeling well or just not interested or maybe this was just not the best picture of her. I'm just so curious to see if she will follow in her Grandma Susan's footsteps and become a dancer too.

Lucy was too scared/shy to take a picture with the professional ballerina but Aeli wasn't.

I'm really glad that she got to see this though. She went through a stage where she loved to watch Angelina Ballerina for a while. And lately, she has really loved this Barbie ballerina DVD we got from the library. I'm thinking of getting tickets for Ballet West's family package of the Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, and The Little Mermaid for me and Lucy but I'm not sure if she is old enough yet.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Lucy will probably get more interested as she grows older. It's too bad the dancers had only carpet to dance on. Carpet is tough for dancing (and basketball!).

Kumi said...

Hope Lucy enjoys dancing.

MamaQ said...

it's funny how kids get into these funky moods. you try to convince them that if only they'd try it, they'd probably really enjoy it! but i've learned to let maya take the initiative on most things. it seems the more i push, the more she resists, so now i just comment about how fun or cool something is and occasionally she'll insist on doing it.