Saturday, July 17, 2010

Stately Dayton Manor

This is the bed and breakfast that we stayed at while in Buffalo.
Just kidding - it is actually a bed, breakfast, lunch, & dinner because it is really my in-laws' house. Before accepting a position as chief of surgery at University of Buffalo back in 2003, Brandon's parents and the majority of both sides of their family lived in Utah. But with such a career opportunity, they (bravely if you ask me), packed up and moved away from it all just as grandkids were being born. I don't think that my father-in-law is quite ready to retire but we look forward to them moving back to Utah someday so we can be closer than a day's flight. We think it will happen eventually so I thought that I would document their lovely Buffalo home for memories. Their sons have nicknamed it the Stately Dayton Manor - I think it's an appropriate moniker.
This is the view into the living room from the front entry.

The very grand stairway just barely to the right.

Just a little bit more to the right is the dining room view from the entry.

Dining room view from the kitchen.

Taken from the entry, this is opposite from the dining room. I'm not sure what to call this room - parlor? Piano room?

Closer view of the living room which actually has huge vaulted ceilings that the picture doesn't show. You can actually see the living room from the second floor after you go up the staircase.

Another view of the living room as you approach the kitchen. You kinda get a sense of scale by the windows in this picture.

The office is just to the left of the living room.

And then the kitchen is to the right of the living room and opens to the dining room in front. That's my mother-in-law on the phone sitting at the kitchen table and I think that Lucy is on the floor playing with all those toys in the open cabinet.

I didn't even bother with all the bathrooms (2 on the first floor, 3 on the second floor, one in the basement) and bedrooms (5 huge ones on the second floor) and the gigantic basement. The funny thing is that it is only the two of them. But, they do quite a bit of hosting of events for the surgery residents from work and church stuff and family that comes to visit to see the church sites or Niagara Falls and such. I think that they definitely enjoy having the space to entertain and accommodate all their sons and their families. I've been out there four times since we have been married and we will be heading out there in just a week for another family vacation. More good memories to come!

3 comments:

Matt and Krachel said...

I think it's funny that you blogged about your in-laws house. I loved it! And I totally thought it was a bed and breakfast when I saw the first picture.

MamaD said...

I'm preserving memories!

Dixiechick said...

I'm so glad you did this. I think we forget to do stuff like this because we don't think we'll ever forget. Great documentation.