Sunday, July 09, 2006

New Rules

So Morning Routine has proven to be a great struggle in my life - waking up that extra half hour earlier is just so easy not to do. That often means that I skip out on exercise in the morning. So far, the average amount we exercise throughout each week is about 2-3 times - not the best statistics and definitely not where I want to be. But this is really, really important to me - I want to make Morning Routine a permanent lifestyle. So I've come to the conclusion that new rules must be implemented.

I've found that achieving goals and maintaining discipline requires a lot of positive reinforcement. If you wanted to accomplish something, you need the right motivation. Exercise obviously has a lot of benefits - rock solid bod, more energy, more healthy, etc. But for some reason, sleeping in still finds a way to take precedence. So I need to find more motivation, more positive reinforcement.

This led me to think of the things I love - the things that I don't need but I really enjoy. Something that I can actually sacrifice if I need to. There is usually one television show that I look forward to watching every single week. I wouldn't say it is the highlight of my week, but I have it blocked out on my calendar and moan and groan if I have to miss it for any reason. So they're not like "must-see" TV for me but I really, really try not to schedule anything on these days. Right now, the TV show is So You Think You Can Dance. Last season, it was LOST.

I love these shows. I read every article I find about LOST. I love to read the SWAB thread about it. I frequent the website for So You Think You Can Dance to read the bios about the dancers. Dorky you might ask - yes, I admit that. But a very powerful motivator.

So the positive reinforcement goes like this - TV is a reward. I already try to avoid passive watching - I usually only watch shows that I know are on and try to avoid just turning on the TV and vegging out. But now, those shows, my favorite shows, can only be seen if I have successfully completed Morning Routine that day. These shows are only on once or twice a week so I can at least guarantee that I will get in a perfect Morning Routine that much. I can just imagine it, in the morning when I am so tempted to sleep in but I think, "But then I won't be able to see Benji and Donyelle dance tonight!" (Benji and Donyelle are my favorite couple from So You Think You Can Dance). That will get me up - knowing that I will miss out on something I really enjoy.

Silly - yes. But I think it will be a very powerful motivator. It's amazing what people will do with the right motivation.

This post was also an excuse to talk about my two favorite TV shows.

No comments: